Rankings & Endorsements - What people are saying about Christendom
- [A] fine Catholic institution of higher learning - Pope Benedict XVI
- Top 50 All-American Colleges - Intercollegiate Studies Institute
- Top College for American Values - Newsmax.com
- Top Conservative College -Young America’s Foundation
- Excellent American College - Free Congress Foundation
- “Joyfully Catholic” - Cardinal Newman Society
- Barron’s Best Buys in College Education
- #8 Best Value Private Liberal Arts College in the Southeast/Mid-South-Kiplinger
- Peterson’s Competitive Colleges
- Peterson’s 440 Colleges for Top Students
- Top Ten Most Radical Colleges - The Huffington Post
- Top Ten Colleges in America - Rating America's Colleges
- Homeschool Friendly College - TheBestSchools.org
- One of the top 20 Christian colleges in the nation for student success and satisfaction - FaithOnView.com
- “Embodies [Pope] Benedict’s vision for education”- US News & World Report
- “I am well aware of the distinguished record of Christendom College and of the outstanding contribution which it has made to Catholic life in the United States. For this reason, I am particularly honored to associate myself with such a fine Catholic institution of higher learning and my prayers are that Christendom College will enjoy many more years of service in the education and formation of young people.” – Benedict XVI, Pope Emeritus
- "There is a crisis in Catholic higher education today. Many Catholic colleges have abandoned the Faith and have become very secular. But there are a handful of schools that remain faithful to the Church and offer strong academic programs emphasizing Catholic philosophy and theology. One such college is Christendom College. It has the mission of working to restore all things in Christ. It achieves this by educating its students with a rigorous core curriculum, teaching everything with a Catholic worldview, and by immersing its students in a truly Catholic culture. I’ve been to the campus numerous times and have always been impressed with what I’ve seen. I heartily recommend Christendom College to anyone seeking an education guided by Faith and reason and I ask you to consider learning more about this great College which is worthy of both your financial and spiritual support.” – Fr. Benedict Groeschel, CFR
- “Christendom College is one of the best liberal arts colleges in America. Its commitment to providing its students with an integrated, rigorous core curriculum, combined with a vibrant Catholic atmosphere that permeates every aspect of the college experience, marks it as a distinctive and precious resource. I recommend Christendom College to anyone seeking an education that teaches students to think, to pray, and to serve, all under the guidance of Faith and reason. It is wholly worthy of your support.” – George Weigel, Catholic author and theologian
- I think the work that Christendom College is doing is tremendous. It is training the leaders of the future. It is giving them a strong education in theology, and philosophy, and political science that is rarely available elsewhere....Christendom College is the best Catholic college in America. I sent all seven of my sons there and, to this day, they are all still Catholic.” - Dr. Mary Kay Clark, President, Seton Home Study School
- “It is a joy for me to be associated with whatever has to do with the good of Christendom College. “This is good news in our time! It is refreshing to see a Catholic college where the parents can send their children and not get worried whether they will get serious Catholic education – without discount – just as it is.” – Francis Cardinal Arinze, former Prefect for the Congregation of the Congregation of Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments
- "Christendom College has distinguished itself these five and thirty years for well-known academic excellence, realistic preparation of young people for various professions, ability to share with the students commitment to our Catholic faith and joy in living it, inspiration of quite a number of priestly and religious vocations from among its alumni, and especially for the education of citizens of whom the family and society are rightly proud."
—Francis Cardinal Arinze, former Prefect for the Congregation of the Congregation of Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments
- "Christendom College is succeeding and in so doing is changing Catholic education. And I believe it will continue to do so for a long time.” – Carl Anderson, Supreme Knight, Knights of Columbus
- "Christendom College is more than an academic institution of the highest caliber. It is a Catholic academic institution — Catholic in its fullest and deepest meaning and purpose; it is authentically Catholic. Here, the students are formed in the totality of their beings: body, mind, will and soul. Yes, here is an Upper Room, your Upper Room where God the Holy Spirit desires to form you and to mold you into ardent disciples of Jesus Christ and articulate committed members of Christ’s Body the Church." - Bishop Paul S. Loverde, Diocese of Arlington, VA
- “Christendom College is a university after the heart of Newman. For 35 years, the college has trained the intellect and formed the hearts and souls of its students in the truths of this world and in Truth Himself, revealed in the Person of Jesus Christ.” – Bishop James D. Conley, Diocese of Lincoln, NE
- “I have long admired Christendom College. For the past thirty-five years, the College has reflected, through good times and bad, just what a Catholic college should be. The name 'Christendom College' is spoken of with reverence in many different settings and by very many of the faithful throughout the country.” – Bishop Edward J. Slattery, Diocese of Tulsa, OK
- “In the midst of the shifting sands of moral relativism taught in many academic institutions today, Christendom College remains firmly grounded on the Truth of Jesus Christ...I want to particularly commend you for the successful Catholic culture that is evident at Christendom. The faith infuses all aspects of the life of your college community. The mission of the college aims not only at intellectual formation but at the transformation of the whole person in Christ. This goal is notably summarized in one of your advertising slogans, 'Breathe Catholic.' If one truly 'breathes Catholic air' during their college years, they will transform culture and build a Culture of Life in this world.” – Archbishop Samuel J. Aquila, Archdiocese of Denver, CO
- "At a time when the Church faces many challenges from increasing secularization and proposals to redefine Catholic faith and morals to accommodate contemporary trends, Christendom College stands as a beacon of truth and values firmly grounded in the truth revealed to us in Jesus Christ. The College's growth and vitality provide great encouragement and hope for the future." - Cardinal Sean O'Malley, Archdiocese of Boston, MA
- "When you’re a bishop, you get a lot of honorary degrees…but I can not think of any institution from which I am more pleased to receive a degree. This is truly a school born ex corde ecclesiae and remains close to Christ’s heart, faithful to His Church, and passionate about the mission we have received: to build a civilization of love and instaurare omnia in Christo (to restore all things in Christ).” – Sean Cardinal O’Malley, Archdiocese of Boston, MA
- “Christendom College's focus on the pursuit of knowledge of God - while remaining ever faithful to the Magisterium of the Catholic Church - is much to be commended. The fact that so many of your graduates have entered the seminary and religious life bespeaks the solid educational formation of the College, grounded in the Church's great academic patrimony. The College plays an important role in the renaissance of Catholic higher education in this country.” – Bishop Frank J. Dewane, Diocese of Venice, FL
- "Your noble vision to provide a liberal arts education that is devoted to the discovery and appropriation of the True, the Good, and the Beautiful has transformed the landscape of Catholic Higher Education, restoring an understanding of education that affirms true freedom is found in knowing the redeeming Truth of Christ...You all enrich and enliven the Church." - Bishop David A. Zubik, Diocese of Pittsburgh, PA
- “You have sought successfully to pursue wisdom and prepare young men and women for their roles as faithful, informed and articulate members of both the Church and society.” – Archbishop John J. Myers, Archdiocese of Newark, NJ
- “I have long known of the great work of Christendom College in preparing young men and women to serve the Church and be leaven of Christ in the world.” – Bishop Michael J. Sheridan - Diocese of Colorado Springs, CO
- “Christendom College has been a beacon of faith-based intellectual development over the years by joining academic excellence with Catholic faith formation. Since its beginning in 1977, Christendom College has borne convincing testimony to the importance of Catholic education.” – Cardinal Donald Wuerl, Archdiocese of Washington, DC
- "Christendom College is not just a superior academic institution. It forms young men and women into real Christian disciples, people of keen intellect, prudent judgment, deep Catholic culture and a zealous love of God and learning. So it was at the college's founding in 1977. So it is today. No one can ask anything higher from higher education...The Church owes a hearty 'thank you' to everyone in the Christendom College community for their extraordinary witness of Christian humanism and unembarrassed, joyful dedication to living the Catholic faith." - Archbishop Charles J. Chaput, Archdiocese of Philadelphia, PA
- “Since its founding in 1977, Christendom College has sought to be an example in Catholic higher education through fidelity to the Magisterium and the intellectual tradition of the Church. In addition to providing students with the academic skills required to become capable professionals, Christendom College also strives to offer its students the opportunity to grow in their love for Christ. I am grateful for the mission of Christendom College and for the blessing that its graduates are to our communities as well as to the Universal Church.” – Cardinal Francis George, Archdiocese of Chicago, IL
- "For over three decades, the faculty and staff of your venerable institution have sought to enable students 'to restore all things in Christ.' The reputation of your graduates, particularly the many priests and religious who claim Christendom as their beloved alma mater, bears witness to a school firmly committed to fulfilling this motto, as well as a resolute commitment to the fulfillment of the lofty goals of Catholic higher education, that is, the pursuit of the truth, natural and divine, in a community of authentic Christian friendship." - Archbishop John C. Nienstedt, Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis, MN
- “The work of a college such as this has a resonance throughout our country, and beyond. Our own Diocese has shared in the excellence of its academics through the religious who have received their graduate education there in recent years. Certainly, I want to join in the praise and congratulations, offering gratitude to God for the founders of Christendom College and its distinguished faculty who have remained faithful through the years to Christ and His Church.” – Bishop Emeritus Fabian W. Bruskewitz, Diocese of Lincoln, NE
- "Through the years, Christendom College has sought to form young people to follow Christ as active, faithful Catholics. It continues to guide young people at a critical juncture in their lives to strengthen their relationship with Christ through the sacraments and prayer, to grow in virtue, and to develop a deeper understanding of all that the Church believes and teaches."
—Archbishop William E. Lori, Archdiocese of Baltimore, MD
- “Named for the One who is our All, Christendom has always sought to lead its students into the richness of authentic holiness and lives lived with joy and purpose.” – Mother M. Assumpta Long, O.P., Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist
- “I cannot think of any university from which I would be more pleased to receive an honorary doctorate than Christendom College. I’m very well acquainted with the writings of Dr. Warren Carroll...and I have also long admired the work of Dr. O’Donnell, and am a faithful reader of the newsletter of the College [Instaurare]. I have known a number of the alumni, and of course, I always think that the ultimate test of the excellence of a Catholic college is the quality of Faith in Christ and in His Church of the alumni, and Christendom certainly stands out in that regard." – Raymond Cardinal Burke, Prefect, Supreme Tribunal of the Apostolic Signatura.
- “Christendom College is doing a great work for the Church.” Pope John Paul II
- “Christendom College serves a vital role in preparing students for the challenges and opportunities that await them.” President George W. Bush
- "Christendom College is one of those rare places where you get Catholic doctrine and Theology and Philosophy.” Mother Angelica
- “Christendom College provides an atmosphere where students can seek knowledge and purpose....provides, better than countless other universities in the United States, a genuine foundation, one based on objective truth.” Senator Rick Santorum
- “Christendom College outstanding reputation for academic excellence and adherence to sound Catholic theology and moral teaching.” Rep. Chris Smith
- “Christendom College is a sign of hope and encouragement at a time when, in a material sense, hope is not justified.” Alan Keyes
- “Christendom College is a totally Catholic institution....excellent education in the liberal arts...faithful to the Church and the Holy Father.” Fr. John Hardon
- “Christendom College unapologetically defends its calling as a Catholic college and seeks to imbue in its students a deep appreciation for the liberal arts.” William Donohue
- “Christendom College teaches the Faith...does not compromise...does not dilute its teachings for the sake of government funds or peer pressure or political correctness or whatever.” John Cardinal O’Connor
- “Christendom is an outstanding college with a strong academic program and a faithful Catholic identity.” The Cardinal Newman Society
Mr. and Mrs. Thomas McFadden sent all 6 of their children to Christendom: "Many parents ask themselves, 'Why did my children lose their faith during their college years? What could I have done differently?' Sending them to Christendom gives them the best chance of holding on to and growing in the Catholic faith – in addition to getting a solid liberal arts education which is valuable in any field of endeavor. The educational experience impacted my children's lives profoundly. They grew in their faith, in the knowledge of history, and the truth. The rules at Christendom protected them from harmful influences. The friends they made have lasted their lifetime. It's the best decision we made in raising our children."
Mr. and Mrs. Greg Whittaker have sent 6 of their 12 children to Christendom so far: "We were looking for a Catholic college that was compatible with our home-schooling program and would help prepare our children for their vocation, so Christendom was a perfect fit. The most beneficial thing about a Christendom education is that our children can receive an academic and spiritual formation that is Catholic – it is the ‘pearl of great price’ that we as parents want to buy for our children. If you are going to put your money into higher education for your children, go for a good, solid investment like Christendom. At Christendom, your child will not have to compromise his faith, rather, he will be encouraged by the vibrant Catholic environment. Our children are now part of the solution to the cultural crisis that we see all around us as they build up a Catholic culture in America."
Mr. and Mrs. Nicholas Murphy sent all 5 of their children to Christendom: "Our children grew up without Catholic education. They only learned their faith from their parents, which was sometimes contrary to what they were hearing from the pulpit. We knew their faith was weak and we had begged Our Blessed Mother to show us how to help them. She helped us to hear about Christendom. While there, they received a solid grounding in the Truths of their faith as well the required classes in Metaphysics and Apologetics, so they learned the understanding behind those Truths and the ability to defend them. They lived in an environment where their Faith was put into practice. They found that they could have a ‘normal’ happy, enjoyable college experience, while still remaining pure, chaste, and spiritual – something most of them did not believe could happen before they were ‘forced’ to go to that ‘awful place filled with religious fanatics.’ Before attending Christendom, I believe that at least two or three of our children would have drifted away from the faith. I believe this about our youngest daughter, Malia, who is now a contemplative, Dominican nun. Our children had to not only learn their Faith, they had to experience it in order to make it their own, and not the faith of their parents. The result has been the most graced decision we’ve ever made. For prospective parents worried about the market utility of Liberal Arts degrees, please know that our 9 Christendom grads (4 added by marriage) are successfully raising our 31 grandchildren with rewarding employment and nary a meal being missed. Christendom College will greatly reward you and your children who enroll. Our Lord and His Mother will approve."
Mr. and Mrs. Dennis Akers sent all 6 of their children to Christendom: "We are so glad and feel blessed that all our children have attended Christendom. Besides the great education our children received, additionally important are the wonderful friends they have made, friends that they have today. The 3 children that are married, met their great spouses at Christendom. Receiving a liberal arts education has many advantages. Most other college graduates receive only a limited technical degree, like thousands and thousands of others. The liberal arts degree allow many varied career avenues to open up, as well as a stepping stone for advanced degrees. More importantly, besides our children receiving an excellent education, they receive an education that will help them spiritually, help them be better, holy men and women. Being able to defend and share their faith no matter what career they are involved with. Become parents who are able to raise children who are knowledgeable in their Catholic faith. Without any doubt I would recommend to other parents to do what every they can, to make the financial sacrifices needed to have their children able to attend Christendom."
Mr. and Mrs. Quest sent 6 of their 7 children to Christendom: "We chose Christendom because we wanted our children to be educated in the true Catholic faith, and it had been recommended to us by a priest friend and chaplain at Christendom – Fr. Vincent Miceli. Our children left Christendom as strong Catholics with a well-rounded and practical education. For other parents who are considering Christendom, we would say that your children will graduate strong in their faith and become good citizens who will raise good strong families. And they, in turn, will raise good strong families. That's how we will turn this country around! The Christendom education has definitely impacted our children’s lives because, now, their spiritual values are their priorities and they have a greater knowledge and conviction of their Catholic Faith and also a better appreciation and understanding of true history and undistorted politics. Since they have left campus, our children have continued their friendships with their fellow students because they had become like a family, all with the same goals, aspirations, and beliefs."
"I think going to Christendom was one of the smartest choices I have made. On a daily basis, I am faced with challenges which require me to fall back on some of the courses I took at Christendom, and yet not one of these courses was directly job-related. Classes like Logic, Euclidean Geometry, Rhetoric, and the Philosophy of Psychology all are incredibly relevant in today's work force.
When you spend four years at a school like Christendom, when you take classes like Moral Theology and Doctrine, when you have a beautiful chapel dead center on campus with frequent access to Mass and the Sacraments, you can't help but grow in personal integrity. And unless you are very blessed, once you enter the work force, no matter which career you choose, you will be faced each and every day with challenges to that morality and integrity. Trust me on this one! Knowing the absolute Truth – having the morals my parents taught me reinforced on a daily basis at Christendom in all the course I took – these are really the most valuable lessons one can learn in preparation for adult life." - Christopher Young (Class of 1997), Attorney
"My education at Christendom College was superb and has served as an invaluable resource from which I have drawn on many occasions. It was obvious my professors believed and valued what they taught. Christendom taught me how to think, to reason, to speak about and to defend the Faith in a convincing manner. I also benefitted greatly from the atmosphere of Christendom College. To form me spiritually, Christendom offered reverent daily Masses, splendid preaching, daily adoration of the Blessed Sacrament, and daily recitation of the Rosary. To form me socially and to give me a greater appreciation for Catholic culture, Christendom offered healthy social activities. Before I entered Christendom, I had heard God calling me to the priesthood. My time at Christendom fostered this call and prepared me well for my seminary training and for my life as a future priest. During the time I have spent in parishes, hospital work, and religious education after graduation from Christendom, I have drawn heavily from what I learned there in order to explain the Faith to Catholics and non-Catholics alike. I am grateful to God for sending me to Christendom College. I am indebted to all of my professors for the 'pearl of great price' they offered me. I am also thankful to all of the friends and benefactors of Christendom College for their sacrifices and generosity." - Fr. Frank Fusare (Class of 1991)
"Attending Christendom College radically changed my life in a positive way. The ideals and habits we develop as young adults often define us for years to come. My Christendom experience has remained with me in my career on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange, and beyond, and is refreshed through the friendships I made during those years." – Dave Hickin (Class of 1990)